Friday, February 25, 2011

Lucy...


Back in October, I started writing a post about a family friend of ours, Lucy, who passed away.  I just realized that I never published that post.  The following is what I typed up then (around the second week of October):  

Today I found out that our close family friend, Lucy Howell, passed away on September 26th, 2010.  My dad left that morning for the Mayo Clinic to be with my mom who'd been there for a couple weeks already, so it took a while for us to get the message. Lucy, who has lived across the street from my parents since my family and I moved into that house when I was 2 years old, was diagnosed with colon cancer shortly after my dad was diagnosed with his cancer, but last I knew she'd been doing pretty well since her last surgery.  They believed they got all of the cancer and Lucy's condition improved.  I hadn't heard from her in a while and since my parents were away at the Mayo Clinic, it's been hard to keep updated.

I am deeply saddened by Lucy's passing.  She was such a sweet, and truly kind-hearted woman.  Her son, Eric graduated high school a year before me and her daughter, Lisa graduated a few years after me.  Her husband, Lonnie, passed away from skin cancer shortly after I graduated from high school.  Every time Matt and I would visit our family in Missouri, we'd always make a trip across the street to see Lucy.  Many times we'd see her in passing and say hello or catch up on things.  Even through her own struggle, she was always a loving woman who cared for others.  I will truly miss seeing her and hearing her voice. 

Since I wrote this, we visited home for Christmas (2010).  On Christmas Eve, when we were about to head out the door to church where Madison was to get baptized, Lucy's son and daughter stopped by with a basket of cookies for our family.  It was good to see them.  Madison Lucille gets her middle name from Lucy.  I will forever remember Lucy through my little Madison.  Every time I speak Madison's whole name, I think of Lucy.  I wish she they could have met.  Maybe they will some day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment